A classic light summer salad combination that is one of my daughter Rachel’s favorites.
This salad is simply packed with nutrients: anti-inflammatory fish omega-3 fat, fiber-rich beans and added antioxidants from the EVOO, lemon and herbs—this is one super-easy to make, super-delicious salad that should be a staple on your summer salad list.
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- One 6-ounce can or pouch chunk-light tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil or sage
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a bowl gently toss together the beans and tuna. Fold in the red onion, basil or sage, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
NUTRITION IN A BOX
Per 1/2 cup serving:
- Calories: 244
- Fat: 12 g (0 g EPA, 0 g DHA, <1g ALA)
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
- Sodium: 422 mg
- Carbohydrate: 18 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4 g
- Sugars: <1 g
- Protein: 17 g
Recipe excerpt from Prevent a Second Heart Attack